Friday, December 30, 2022

Puzzles #480 & #481 - Heyawakes for the Hike

Heyawake Hike recently concluded on LMI as the 8th daily contest since their revival. The puzzles were made by Sam Cappelman-Lynes and are generally very excellent, I'd highly recommend trying them out. I'd also like to congratulate nishinanntoka for a phenomenal performance as well.

But first, here's a puzzle I made.

This is definitely the sort of design that looks like it would be unfair, but there's some surprisingly neat logic to be found here.

Anyway on the competition - I managed to win! (I recorded a video but halfway through it loses audio for no reason so it's useless)

Just like Nurimisaki Nomad, I made a trophy shaped puzzle to celebrate. Unlike Nurimisaki Nomad, I actually made this before attempting the final puzzle to try to practice a bit. And I basically never practice for competitions - it psyches me out too much to do anything more than solve a couple puzzles to get into a more deduction-focused mental mode.

In other puzzling news, I also crossed 2700 rating on puzzleduel (being the third solver to do this, after Ken Endo and Freddie Hand) and then reached 2738 (and counting???) in the process of clocking the first? 3000 rating full week (Caiji logged 3200+ on the same week but didn't attempt the hardest puzzle) and dominantly winning Doubleshow 7. If this first week of the new year goes well I may reach an astronomical 2750 which would, I believe, be the highest rating peak in the history of the site, done at a time when the competition is fiercer than any past peak. Even if not, I reached 2700 which has been a pipe dream for a long time, considering my peak before October was about 2650. I don't know what happened to me these past few months but something must have clicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment