Monday, June 19, 2023

Puzzle #493 - Wacky Variant Sudoku

Zimodo is more active than I am in the CTC Discord. This isn't really saying much as I just lurk there, but still. His Yajilin Yacht request was a "wacky variant sudoku" which stumped me for a while. I don't make a lot of Sudoku puzzles and I definitely don't experiment with variants much. Even the Christmas Tree Conundrum I made a year prior was just a bunch of single variants combined with other puzzle types.

Combined with other puzzle types... well, that was all the prompt I needed once I realized it. Why not make a Killer Sudoku where you have to find the cages, and all cages have to obey Fillomino rules? I needed to add some kropki pairs to get the puzzle started but the combination worked really nicely.

Full rules:
  • Standard Sudoku rules apply - place the numbers 1-9 exactly once each into every row, column and 3x3 box. Additionally: 
  • Divide the grid into killer cages containing 0 or 1 small numbers. Cages of the same size may not share an edge. Numbers may not repeat within a cage. If a cage has a number, then it gives the sum of all numbers placed in that cage.
  • White dots separate numbers where one number is exactly one more than the other. Black dots separate numbers where one number is exactly double the other.

I'm honestly kind of proud of this one. It's well outside my comfort zone, has a cool theme (check the numbers) and a nice solve path.

No comments:

Post a Comment