Saturday, December 14, 2019

Puzzles #81 & #82 - Addendum to the Addendum (Sashigane)

Firstly, I'd like to thank Pavel Curtis for the opportunity to contribute to the Ænigmatic Addendum series. Well, it was an open offer to the Puzzler's Club server, and I just happened to be around at the time and have enough confidence in my constructing abilities to give it a shot. Looking over the available list of genres, Sashigane was the one I was most familiar with and, as a region division puzzle, I thought I had a reasonable shot at it.
My first attempt is shown above- if you followed the first link to the page, you'd know that this was not the puzzle used for the Addendum. I had to make a second puzzle because this one was too easy, not helped by the fact that I wanted to force a deduction on the border with cells that must be used by non-border things to resolve it all late in the puzzle, but failed. I still learned a lot about how to fill a Sashigane in making this, though.
I took the feedback on my first attempt to heart (too many arrows, adjacent clues give too much information) and worked very hard to avoid that, and also embed some intricate steps. One part of the puzzle resolves easier than I would have liked, but apparently it's also non-trivial so I suppose as the constructor, I knew what the placed clues were trying to make. I also had to make a small fix here before sending it off- I made a bad assumption about how the 9 had to resolve but fortunately could fix it easily enough, which is why you're seeing this now!

Fair warning, this is probably the hardest puzzle on this blog so far. I think I have a harder one coming in a few days, though.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed that the second puzzle is excellent. (And pretty tough, too.) I particularly liked how gur sbhe va gur zvqqyr pbyhza vagrenpgf jvgu gur gjb arneol neebjf va gur gbc ebj. Guvf znggrerq n ybg va zl fbyivat cngu, bapr va gur ortvaavat jura vg xvpxfgnegrq n punva ernpgvba va gur gbc yrsg tbvat sbhe--frira--frira--fvk, naq nabgure gvzr arne gur raq jura vg urycrq erfbyir gur gbc zvqqyr cneg bs gur tevq. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete