Monday, October 10, 2022

Puzzles #414 - 420 - Yajilin Yacht Trials

I'm a bit delayed on posting my Yajilin Yacht puzzles here, including some bonuses and rejects from the series. I have a lot more to say about each of the contest puzzles (and some of the bonuses are tied directly to alternate versions of those) and not much to say about the trials, so here's 5 fairly easy Yajilin puzzles and 2 that have a bit more bite. For any puzzle in the contest, a solution walkthrough is available linked from the contest page. For the bonus puzzles, you're on your own - though if requested, I can record a solution video there too.

The rest of the contest puzzles (and their bonuses) will be going up one an hour, every hour from when this post goes live.

Trial 1: My only goal here was to have no difficult steps necessary, along with the standard design considerations. Unclued but forced shaded cells were a bonus.

Trial 2: I wanted to show the interaction between overlapping clues for this puzzle. Fun fact: the puzzle is unique with only the two values in column 4.

Trial 3: This was a late addition to the trials, because the puzzle I originally made for unclued walls I decided I didn't like. This puzzle also doubles as a puzzle were certain parity steps are extremely helpful.

Trial 4: Zero clues give a lot of simple loop logic, and I felt that by including it here, it could be fair to include later. Ultimately I tried to have this series continue building on itself, where crucial steps in past puzzles could be used again as assumed knowledge. Did it work the way I anticipated? Sort of!

Trial 5: Now this is a puzzle that set the tone for the contest proper: no clear starting point but a clever argument exists to break in. I'm very happy with how this one turned out. The corners proved quite difficult to get to work with this layout, too.
The Rejects: The first reject was because I didn't think it was a particularly interesting puzzle and I could do the "shaded cell in one of two" thing better. The second? I thought the puzzle was boring and didn't really showcase anything new. Neither are bad puzzles, they just weren't what I was going for.
puzz.link interface                                   puzz.link interface


No comments:

Post a Comment