Thursday, October 13, 2022

Puzzles #453, #454 & #455 - IPC 2022 Round 3 (Kakuro, Yajilin)

I was fortunate enough to be offered the opportunity to contribute to and testsolve for the 2022 Indian Puzzle Championship. The third round was for puzzle types that appeared in the LMI Daily Contest series, and I made a Kakuro and two Yajilin worth 50, 25 and 40 points, respectively.

I started by toying with a layout until I found one I liked that would support every clue with 2 directions having the same value in both directions. At the end of the puzzle, I was fortunate enough to allow having two unclued lines that intersected, which is always a neat thing to have happen.


As for these two Yajilin puzzles? Both ended up giving me a lot of trouble to end up working out the way I wanted them to. The IPC puzzle was aesthetically challenging to balance while the logic mostly did what I wanted (though I didn't want to include a 4, I liked what it did enough to keep it). The 2022 puzzle on the other hand was excruciating to get a puzzle that worked at all, even though the aesthetic balance was easy to get something nice for. I think this was the 3rd or 4th working puzzle I turned up and it was by far the best one. All of these are puzzles I'm really happy with and I'd gladly contribute to a contest like this again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment