Monday, October 10, 2022

Puzzles #429 & #430 - Sloop (Yajilin)

This was the fifth Yajilin puzzle from my somewhat recent LMI contest, Yajilin Yacht. A solution video for the contest puzzle can be found on the contest page. Additionally, I made a bonus puzzle with the same layout but different clues.

I had to make an all 0 puzzle. I had to. Since I knew I wanted this to be early in the overall contest, and with steadily increasing square sizes, 11x11 would be a perfect place to put this puzzle without tipping people off in advance. Something like 11x10 would have been a dead giveaway that something fishy was going on. This puzzle didn't go over the best - some people felt cheated out of a Yajilin, others questioned the point, but ultimately this was my contest and I was going to do what I wanted to do with it. And besides, a good amount of people got a kick out of it :)

As for the bonus? I spent a while messing around with clue values until I found one that worked fairly. More for my own constructing amusement than anything else. More puzzles never hurt though, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment