Friday, February 2, 2024

Puzzles #606 & #607 - Thick Jungle (Tents)

Before WPC 2023, I ran a Puzzle Getchu!, a contest themed on Ape Escape. I had intended to queue these puzzles for posting before WPC, but didn't have the time. Better late than never!

The fourth level (and first big level) in the game is Thick Jungle, and I actually spent quite a while on different genre ideas before making a Tents. I tried Arboretum first but the genre just does not agree with me and the way I make puzzles. Then I tried helping that by applying a Tents rule as a hybrid (there is a tent in Thick Jungle!) and while I was able to make some good setups with these rules, after a couple hours of trying I found that there would be no way to resolve things uniquely. So, I went with the "boring" option of standard Tents.

The 15 point contest puzzle was even potentially undervalued - something I'm quite pleased with as the first Tents I've ever made. It took a few tree layouts (in the shape of a tree) to find something that actually worked and wasn't too forcing before any clues, but was forcing with a few clues. I don't know how I got the row and column clues to match.

No comments:

Post a Comment