Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Puzzles #612 & #613 - Coral Cave

Before WPC 2023, I ran a Puzzle Getchu!, a contest themed on Ape Escape. I had intended to queue these puzzles for posting before WPC, but didn't have the time. Better late than never!

The eighth level is Coral Cave. Coral and Cave are both existing puzzle genres. Mashing them up in some way was the most obvious pick for any slot in the entire contest. The only question was in what way they would be mashed up, and I went with the outside clues give the lengths of unshaded groups, in no particular order.

The example puzzle was actually harder to make do what I wanted than the main puzzle here! I tried to make it work with all 4s at first and almost had something, but had made a bad step along the process and had to adjust. There are a lot of rules here and I wanted to show as many as possible in a reasonable puzzle.

The contest puzzle was actually one of the first puzzles I made for this. I still had designs of trying to make the point values for each puzzle match the number of monkeys in the level (8, in this case, out of 204 total) so wasn't aiming too difficult. It turned out I was overshooting difficulty targets on nearly every puzzle, and so this ended up at 15 points out of 300. No individual step is that hard, but there are a lot and the path can be narrow at some points.

No comments:

Post a Comment