Thursday, February 15, 2024

Puzzles #632 & #633 - Specter's Factory (Yajisan Sokoban)

Before WPC 2023, I ran a Puzzle Getchu!, a contest themed on Ape Escape. I had intended to queue these puzzles for posting before WPC, but didn't have the time. Better late than never!

The seventeenth level, Specter's Factory, was actually by far the hardest slot to pick a genre for. I ultimately went with Yajisan Sokoban to emulate the conveyor/crate room near the end of the level, but I considered a lot of other genres for this slot. 10 points is probably a bit undervalued for this puzzle, but when I've only had "undervalued" puzzles and no overvalued... eh, testsolve results weighted this one to be about 10 points, not counting my solve on paper with a much harder to read presentation.

This genre is so hard to make a concrete starting point in - coming up with a good start for the example was quite tough for me.

As for the main puzzle, the "conveyors" around the outside gave a lot of potential starting points that were still tricky to finagle something nice, and even trickier to continue. This was the least solved puzzle in the entire contest, which I think is due to being placed late, being an uncommon genre, and being lower value so lower priority to go for early.

No comments:

Post a Comment