Friday, February 9, 2024

Puzzles #620 & #621 - Frosty Retreat (Icewalk)

Before WPC 2023, I ran a Puzzle Getchu!, a contest themed on Ape Escape. I had intended to queue these puzzles for posting before WPC, but didn't have the time. Better late than never!

The eleventh level is Frosty Retreat, and this is the reason I didn't use an ice genre for the previous puzzle. Between all of the potential options, I felt like Icewalk would be a more interesting choice than something like Icebarn, and wow, is this a genre that doesn't agree with me. I found it to be a major struggle to set anything up that did anything remotely interesting, and while I got there in the end, I'm not sure I'll be making more of these.

As for the competition puzzle, I wanted a ringed island like the one a UFO monkey starts on, and other than that I just didn't want it to be trivial. I ended up with a 20 point behemoth of a puzzle that met my criteria, after having to patch an alternate solution at the bottom in a way that also made the key steps easier to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment