Saturday, February 10, 2024

Puzzles #622 & #623 - Hot Springs (Onsen)

Before WPC 2023, I ran a Puzzle Getchu!, a contest themed on Ape Escape. I had intended to queue these puzzles for posting before WPC, but didn't have the time. Better late than never!

The twelfth level, Hot Springs, was also extremely obvious: it had to be an Onsen-meguri puzzle. Hot Springs is also one of the more infamous levels in Ape Escape, so I had wanted to make this puzzle extremely hard... but by the time I got to it, I was tending way too hard overall, so made this one easier to compensate, ending up at only 5 points. I still kept the "tall" nature of the level in the puzzle, though, and used loops with 2, 3 and 4 not because they're consecutive numbers, but because that's how many monkeys are in each room! Having room symmetry under these constraints was pretty tough to get to work too, for both the example and main puzzles. The example especially since I needed an empty circle - the example is probably harder, actually.


No comments:

Post a Comment