Thursday, December 24, 2020

Puzzle #274 - Wander Wall (Meandering Ripple Effect)

When I was originally brainstorming variant ideas, I wanted to include Ripple Effect in some way. My first two ideas didn't go well- adding the restriction to Cojun or Makaro. My third idea of making a hybrid with Meandering Numbers didn't go much better, but when I revisited it with a better understanding of what the added implications were I managed to turn up this puzzle after a lot of testing dead ends. The solution to the puzzle should be a valid solution in both rulesets.
I don't recommend trying to make one of these. I really don't.
Errata (2020): the puzzle originally had no solutions, now it has one.
Errata (2023): added 2 givens to improve solve path and remove alternate solutions I couldn't find.

Come back tomorrow for the final variant in this series- I'm really proud of the construction, even if it's not for everyone. Afterwards, I have some other holiday puzzle gifts and assorted other puzzles I have lying around to continue posting into the new year :)

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jeffrey, I have solved your nice puzzle with a script. I found 3 different solutions instead of one ?
    If you are interested in my results how can I insert pictures on this blog ?
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I took so long to catch this - I couldn't find any alternate solutions when testing this myself, but I didn't think the solve path was particularly friendly so I added two more givens to smooth out the hardest parts. If this didn't fix the multiple solutions, I'd love to see them uploaded to imgur or similar.

      Delete