Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Puzzles #284 - #289 - Christmasyu Part 1 (Masyu Sampler)

For Christmas, I made some puzzles for my family! My mom enjoyed Masyu from Logic Puzzles 101, so I made her a set of relatively easy Masyu and variations. And a large puzzle using all of the variants in one, which you'll see tomorrow.

Standard Masyu
Standard Masyu rules apply, with no additional rules. I wanted to ease my mom back into the type with a very easy example, though it still turned out a bit easier than I wanted from uniquely specifying the outside. It served its purpose well.

Alternating Masyu
The loop must alternate touching black circles and white circles. Antisymmetry alllllllmost worked here with a fun and fair solve- the corners break it. That said, the corners still made for a nice resolution and I like this puzzle.

Deformable Masyu
White circles may be "deformed" by filling them in to create a black circle. This one is my favorite of the set purely due to the theme. My mom thought this variant was very mean but ended up solving it without too much trouble, as intended.

All Cells Masyu
The loop must travel through every cell in the grid. Can you tell that I was more focused on aesthetic themes for these puzzles than intricate logic? I love how the top right corner ends up working out and flows here.

Dynasty Masyu
Cells unused by the loop may not be adjacent. This variant proved much tougher to grasp than I anticipated, even if I thought most of the deductions were straightforward. The top left in particular was something that my mom struggled with seeing how it could even work, even though it largely doesn't use the variant.

Tetromino Masyu
The cells left unused by the loop must form the indicated set of tetrominos. In this puzzle, the set is O, I, L, S. This puzzle gave me so much trouble to construct as placing circles would often render the puzzle unresolvable from that point, and even placing all the shapes wouldn't give a place where a circle could go. Eventually I found an extra black circle I could place that made the puzzle much nicer, thankfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment