Friday, October 2, 2020

Puzzle #200 - A Major Milestone (Ripple Effect)

So... making puzzle 200 ended up taking a good bit longer than I expected. Originally I wanted to make a large Nanro puzzle, but I ended up not having any ideas for how to drive such a puzzle the way I made the giant LITS. But I really wanted a placement puzzle, so when I perused the list of genre this afternoon I realized Ripple Effect would work remarkably well. There was only one problem: I had no idea how to start!
An hour later, I was mostly done, but it ended up taking another hour later in the day to get the last few parts to actually resolve correctly. Probably would have been easier if I'd allowed myself clue numbers... anyway, for the interface the regions filled with question marks can be considered not part of the grid and do not necessarily need to have valid values. This just allowed me to essentially have a non-standard grid shape.


Also as a reminder, the instruction booklet for my upcoming LMI contest Puzzle Zodiac is currently available! You can participate anytime between October 9th and 14th, and I'll be uploading all of the puzzles I constructed for it here after the contest ends.

The variation series I mentioned a few posts ago will still happen, I'll just probably hold off on it until 251-275 instead due to the delay on this puzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment