Saturday, October 31, 2020

Puzzles #249 & #250 - Ophiuchus (Word Nurikabe)

My favorite comment on the Puzzle Zodiac thread before it started was "No Ophiucus? (13th Zodiac sign)... :( That puzzle will be Snake puzzle..?" just because I knew that I had included a snakelike Word Nurikabe themed on Ophiuchus. It seemed like the splash image I used for the instructions booklet having a hidden symbol in the middle went unnoticed by most people. I poured a lot of time into making this final puzzle on the test interesting, difficult and fair with a stunning theme and it absolutely paid off. I think it's my favorite puzzle that I've made to date and I hope you give it a try.
Yep, I went with a vanity puzzle for the example. My only other requirement was that the grid wouldn't be rectangular, as I knew that the main puzzle grid wouldn't be.
Puzzle 25 on the test, undervalued at 100 points, and themed on A SIGN- Ophiuchus, specifically. As mentioned above this is probably my favorite puzzle that I've ever made because there's so much going on here despite only having 13 letters a grid with nearly 200 cells. Only 7 people solved this puzzle during the contest- and Ken Endo himself even missed it despite having over a half hour to work on it.

Some closing thoughts on the contest as a whole- I think it went mostly well. The puzzle grid typo in the puzzle booklet for the second puzzle weighs heavily on me as an error that shouldn't have happened, and I've learned my lesson that my personal testsolve needs to be on the final booklet, not the final puzzle images. It turned out a little harder than I expected (I was anticipating 5 finishers, not 1) but not by much- and I didn't sacrifice quality at any step of the process. Will I be writing any more contests on my own? Probably, I have a couple of ideas. It takes a lot of time and additional effort to get a contest together, though looking back I'm extremely proud of the set as a whole. Lots of mixed feelings here.

Keep an eye out for more from me- I've got a bunch of variant puzzles coming fairly soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment