Thursday, October 22, 2020

Puzzles #221 - #224 - Cancer (Foursight)

So this is probably the weirdest and least thematic pick for the Puzzle Zodiac, but I swear I have a good...ish reason for it. So all the way back last year when I was first making Foursight puzzles, I hit on a nice given layout that, once I'd made the puzzle, I realized looked like the Cancer symbol. Afterwards I had an idea to theme a set of puzzles around all 13 zodiac signs, and shortly after had the idea to turn it into a contest. So when I sat down to pick the rest of the types for it, shading puzzles were the hardest to pick by a longshot just because of how strange this pick was.

My first attempt at an example puzzle... didn't go so well, so I made a second one to replace it for the instruction booklet.
Second attempt at an example, with a bit more interesting theming and logic. Still not the greatest example, in hindsight, but Foursight is not a type that works well on small grids.
Puzzle 7 on the test, worth 40 points, and themed on the Cancer sign. The puzzle that started it all, over a year ago... according to my personal spreadsheet, this was the 64th puzzle I made. The next number for a puzzle on this test? 116. Anyway, this isn't that tough for a Foursight but the type is inherently a slow and tricky solve.
Puzzle 8 on the test, worth 70 points, and themed on the main diagonal. I knew from the time I made the previous puzzle that I wanted to have some larger empty spaces and settled on this layout, but it took me until construction 136 to actually get around to making this puzzle. There's a couple parts that are tough to see here and this was the second least solved puzzle on the test- not really surprising to me given the type, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment