Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Puzzles #215, #216 & #217 - Taurus (Araf)

As I think might be clear by now, for Puzzle Zodiac I tried to pick puzzle genres that were at least somewhat thematic to the zodiac sign they represented. For Taurus, the most defining feature is the two large horns, and that reminded me of Araf for some reason.
For the example puzzle, I wasn't sure what kind of theming I wanted to go for until I had the thought of placing a 1234 in the top corner. I didn't dare dream that this sort of theming would end up creating a unique puzzle, but it did!
Puzzle 3 on the test, worth 30 points, and themed on the Taurus sign. I tinkered with placing givens on the border at first to try to get the layout correct but ultimately couldn't find a way to make it look nice except this 6x6. Once I had the layout in place, it was easy to embed a few deductions for a fairly smooth solve.
Puzzle 4 on the test, worth 50 points, and themed around partial arithmetic sequences on the outside edges, and a hidden logical theme. Araf can always be a bit of a fiddly type to get to resolve the way you want it to and this puzzle was no exception. It's always a good feeling when the acceptable lower and upper bounds for a clue are equal- see if you can find the one I'm referring to!

1 comment: