Sunday, October 25, 2020

Puzzles #231, #232 & #233 - Libra (Minarism)

I'm running out of ways to introduce the Puzzle Zodiac but I'm only halfway through posting the puzzles from it help

Anyway part of my genre selection was to have 3 each of shading, loop/path, region division, and number/object placement puzzles. Even within those types, I wanted variety- and with 1.5 object placement and 1 latin square, naturally I went for another latin square in Minarism. Ripple Effect was something I considered here, with Balance Loop for Libra, but things matched up better and had a better aesthetic balance like this, I think.

For the example puzzle, I went with an antisymmetric theme which is always interesting in a type like this. The solve is pretty straightforward and the construction is like this more to look nice and for my own enjoyment than anything else.
Puzzle 13 on the test, worth 20 points, and themed on the Libra sign. I wanted to focus more on the difference clues here, and started with the 1-5 string along the top and built from there.
Puzzle 14 on the test, worth 70 points, and symmetrically themed. Minarism is one of those types where placing the same clues symmetrically doesn't result in the same deductions. As is probably obvious, as a counterpoint to puzzle 13 I went with an inequality focus here. This slot had the only puzzle other than the Foursight example I scrapped, because when constructing it I imagined the break-in and everything after it wasn't deducible. Somehow it still turned out unique, but it wasn't suited for posting on this blog, let alone a competition!

No comments:

Post a Comment