Monday, July 17, 2023

Puzzle #550 - IPC 2023 Round 3 Giant (Shikaku)

I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to construct puzzles for the Indian Puzzle Championship this year. Before getting into some of the puzzles I prepared, you can acquire the full set of puzzles at the link above. The IPC (and LMI, a phenomenal puzzling site) operate at a loss, so if you want to throw some support their way it would definitely be appreciated.

My final contribution was a large puzzle for round 3. By the time I got around to this one most of the other giants were already made and there were no region division puzzles. The difficulties also seemed to be tending high so I went for Shikaku as it's usually a pretty easy region division puzzle, and in particular one that's fast to input. I still didn't want this to be trivial and so started from a symmetric set of numbers that didn't resolve, and then made sure the surrounding clues made them resolve in two different ways. Minor spoiler I guess, though any rigorous solve will find out anyway!


The fact that this ended up on 550 exactly - another milestone puzzle post - is purely coincidental. I still have a few more stray puzzles to queue up, so daily puzzles will continue a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment