Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Puzzles #519, #520 & #521 - So Many Bees Part 4

For secret solver last year, I was assigned to write a puzzle for dylanamite. I did not write a puzzle, I wrote a 26 puzzle set that I'll be posting over the next 5 days, ending on the 10th with the full PDF that was sent. When Jamie signed Dylan up (Dylan would have anyway) he did so with the comment "please send me so many bees". And so, I sent so, so, so many bees.

Just so many bees.

Kropki Pairs but I spilled bees on my puzzle
The rules of this Kropki variant are: Place a number from 1 to N into each cell so that each row and column contains every number from that range with no repeats, where N is the side length of the grid. Pairs of orthogonally adjacent cells marked with a black dot must contain numbers with a 1:2 ratio. Pairs of orthogonally adjacent cells marked with a white dot must contain consecutive numbers. Pairs of orthogonally adjacent cells marked with a bee must contain neither.
Partial Kropki is such a fun variant rule, giving much tighter control of the solve path. But the negative constraint is quite strong too, and so introducing a third symbol (in this case, a bee) to keep that logic alive is interesting. Not sure if this variant has legs but I like the puzzle - I made a few errors in constructing and had to throw out a few false starts though, it's easy to mis-scan.
penpa interface

Lollipops
Standard Lollipops rules apply. I had to sacrifice clue symmetry a bit to get this one to work, it's not a super fun genre to construct. By this point in the project I had decided I was going to falsely thank some people for helping, and the tilted square in the middle is a dead giveaway of a djmathman puzzle. Not really, obviously, but it was funny. The astute reader will have noticed something about the order of puzzles thus far and one that's missing, and all will be revealed in part 9.


Nanro [Bees]
Standard Nanro rules apply, with the additional rule that all cells with bees in them must remain empty / unnumbered.
Tilted square again, with regions shaped like a bee, sort of. This can't quite be captured without empty cells that are part of a region (since it makes regions discontinuous), though it is just given empties with are usually a kludge. Since they were part of the design intention from the beginning they don't feel like one here, though, which is philosophically interesting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment